Тема: English? Anyone?

Администратор этого форума направил меня сюда, и у меня к вам вопрос: does someone speak English here? Мне нужна помощь с ЯЗС!

Thanks,
Lehel

Re: English? Anyone?

You can write on English, we let's try to understand you  :)

OK, so guys, I'm looking for audio samples - single notes and drum samples - of the ЯЗС in WAV! I'd be really grateful if someone could help me out! I don't really understand how it works, it has preset sounds, or you can manipulate it somehow just like on a synthesizer? THANK YOU!

Hello there!
Essentially, drum sounds are presets, but since they are produced using a noise generator, different samples of the same preset will be slightly different.
Tonal sounds can be manipulated. There are three types of envelope and three types of filters (low-pass, band-pass and high-pass). But the filters are not tunable, so the timbre of the sound differs in different octaves.

Our site has some info about the ЯЗС (russian only, but Google Translate not bad):
http://agatcomp.ru/agat/Hardware/SoundNCL/jzs52.shtml

avivanov76 пишет:

Hello there!
Essentially, drum sounds are presets, but since they are produced using a noise generator, different samples of the same preset will be slightly different.
Tonal sounds can be manipulated. There are three types of envelope and three types of filters (low-pass, band-pass and high-pass). But the filters are not tunable, so the timbre of the sound differs in different octaves.

Hey there, thanks for the info! Can you help me out with a sound recording? I'm actually doing research for a book on Soviet - and Eastern Bloc - synths, drum machines etc. and I sure consider this device a synth! Let me know if you can help me out!

Do you want to create some melody as source text and play it to the ЯЗС ?

У нас кто нибудь уже копался с компиляторами мелодий для ЯЗС ?

Voldemar0 пишет:

Do you want to create some melody as source text and play it to the ЯЗС ?

У нас кто нибудь уже копался с компиляторами мелодий для ЯЗС ?

I would like to use the samples for analyzing the sounds, envelope, waveforms etc.

9 Отредактировано Voldemar0 (25-03-2022 02:24)

As such 'samples'  the ЯЗС doesn't have.
It have five tonal generators (with more than 1000 available freq) with meander output. This needs to be multiplied by several subsequent managed filters. This gives a huge number of possible output spectra. This is further complicated by the fact that the switching of some parts of the circuit is not instantaneous and in itself gives the sound strichs.
Plus noise generators with self tunes.

Those. it is impossible to get a certain limited set of samples - there will be an uncountable number of them.

There was a certain compiler that created commands for the ЯЗС from the textual notation of notes.
The text entry looked like this :

K1 ; Voice

S12 Z3 O4 L4 / [:2
                                           ; introduction
G3.) E3.)
C3.) P \ B) / C) 
D3.) \ B3) A)
G3. P. Z5 G5) F5#) G5
                                           ; couplet 1
B) A. G5#) A) B) / C)     
E P D) P D) E) 
F#) D) \ B) / C5# C6#) E6) D.) C5#) \
B3. P B) / C) \

B) A. G5#) A3) B5) / C5)
E P D) P D) E)
F#) \ G#) A) / G5) A6) G6) F#.) E5)
D) S11 D3.) S10 P3 \ S12
                                           ; refrain
G3.) / E3.)      
C3. P \ A) B) /
C) \ B) / C) F# P. E5)  
C3#.) D3) P \

or

;         "" Hands Up Give Me Your Heart ""

;                                         music by Ottawan

K1 ; Bass

S14 T34> O2 L4 Z3 [:5

A3 E G) A3 E A)                           ; intro
D3 \ A / C) D3 \ A / D) 
G3 D E) G3 D E) 
G3 D E) G3 D G) ]

C3 \ G A) / C3 \ G A) /
C3 \ G A) / C3 \ G / C) 
G3 D E) G3 D G) 
D3 \ A / C) D3 \ A / D) [:2 [:2

G3 D E) G3 D E)                           ; couplet 1
G3 D E) G3 D G)  
E3 \ B / D) E3 \ B / D)
E3 \ B / D) E3 \ B / E)

But at now nobody who know how it work :(  /?? or anybody know - AlexBel ??/

Have only getstarted text about this compiller.
Some time ago we talk about it: http://forum.agatcomp.ru//viewtopic.php?id=45 .

Voldemar0 пишет:

As such 'samples'  the ЯЗС doesn't have.
It have five tonal generators (with more than 1000 available freq) with meander output. This needs to be multiplied by several subsequent managed filters. This gives a huge number of possible output spectra. This is further complicated by the fact that the switching of some parts of the circuit is not instantaneous and in itself gives the sound strichs.
Plus noise generators with self tunes.

Those. it is impossible to get a certain limited set of samples - there will be an uncountable number of them.

There was a certain compiler that created commands for the ЯЗС from the textual notation of notes.
The text entry looked like this :

K1 ; Voice

S12 Z3 O4 L4 / [:2
                                           ; introduction
G3.) E3.)
C3.) P \ B) / C) 
D3.) \ B3) A)
G3. P. Z5 G5) F5#) G5
                                           ; couplet 1
B) A. G5#) A) B) / C)     
E P D) P D) E) 
F#) D) \ B) / C5# C6#) E6) D.) C5#) \
B3. P B) / C) \

B) A. G5#) A3) B5) / C5)
E P D) P D) E)
F#) \ G#) A) / G5) A6) G6) F#.) E5)
D) S11 D3.) S10 P3 \ S12
                                           ; refrain
G3.) / E3.)      
C3. P \ A) B) /
C) \ B) / C) F# P. E5)  
C3#.) D3) P \

or

;         "" Hands Up Give Me Your Heart ""

;                                         music by Ottawan

K1 ; Bass

S14 T34> O2 L4 Z3 [:5

A3 E G) A3 E A)                           ; intro
D3 \ A / C) D3 \ A / D) 
G3 D E) G3 D E) 
G3 D E) G3 D G) ]

C3 \ G A) / C3 \ G A) /
C3 \ G A) / C3 \ G / C) 
G3 D E) G3 D G) 
D3 \ A / C) D3 \ A / D) [:2 [:2

G3 D E) G3 D E)                           ; couplet 1
G3 D E) G3 D G)  
E3 \ B / D) E3 \ B / D)
E3 \ B / D) E3 \ B / E)

But at now nobody who know how it work :(  /?? or anybody know ??/

Have only getstarted text about this compiller.
Some time ago we talk about it: http://forum.agatcomp.ru//viewtopic.php?id=45 .

Well, I understand, there are a lot of possible variations, but I don't want to heard them all :) maybe a few, just to get a better idea of the sound of this device. I'd like to hear some bass sounds, leads, pads etc. and of course the drums.

11 Отредактировано avivanov76 (25-03-2022 04:02)

Here are the drum samples. The sound card has a total of 7 channels: 5 for tonal sounds and 2 for drums. Channel 6 generates drum sounds (toms), file names for this channel start with C6_. Channel 7 generates hi-hats, file names for this channel start with C7_.
Although the sound card is internally mono, it contains a pseudo stereo circuit, so the samples are in stereo. 

bobpoljakov пишет:

I'm actually doing research for a book on Soviet - and Eastern Bloc - synths, drum machines etc.

Wow, that's great. It would be interesting to see the result.

ЯЗС certainly has modest sound synthesis capabilities, but, on the other hand, it does not seem that its designers were trying to compete with the best Western synths. There is a book written by the staff of the Novosibirsk Conservatory, who created the software for this sound card, in which they mention the sound card as a means of entertainment and self-learning.

If you want a general idea of how this sound card sounds, you can watch this video.

avivanov76 пишет:

Here are the drum samples. The sound card has a total of 7 channels: 5 for tonal sounds and 2 for drums. Channel 6 generates drum sounds (toms), file names for this channel start with C6_. Channel 7 generates hi-hats, file names for this channel start with C7_.
Although the sound card is internally mono, it contains a pseudo stereo circuit, so the samples are in stereo. 

bobpoljakov пишет:

I'm actually doing research for a book on Soviet - and Eastern Bloc - synths, drum machines etc.

Wow, that's great. It would be interesting to see the result.

ЯЗС certainly has modest sound synthesis capabilities, but, on the other hand, it does not seem that its designers were trying to compete with the best Western synths. There is a book written by the staff of the Novosibirsk Conservatory, who created the software for this sound card, in which they mention the sound card as a means of entertainment and self-learning.

If you want a general idea of how this sound card sounds, you can watch this video.

Yes, I've seen this video before, but thanks anyway! I was looking more for single notes of various "patches" and drums, but it seems there's no one who could record it, maybe it doesn't even worth the trouble?

Have you already checked out the drum samples I linked to in my previous post?

As for individual notes, I'm working on it.
You know, the problem is that not all the software for this sound card that we have is functional. Also, there was no description of how to use this software. Therefore, we had to literally reverse-engineer this software in order to understand how to use it :) Not all of this work has been completed at the moment.

There are two music editors for this sound card. One is graphical (it looks fancy), but it's more of a "proof of concept" than a finished product. The other one is for text mode. As far as I understand, it was used to create all the demo songs for the sound card. But it has a very confusing syntax, and it is not clear how to use this editor.

So now I'm trying to come up with my own way to get the sound card to play the sounds I want. This will take some time, so keep calm :)

avivanov76 пишет:

Have you already checked out the drum samples I linked to in my previous post?

As for individual notes, I'm working on it.
You know, the problem is that not all the software for this sound card that we have is functional. Also, there was no description of how to use this software. Therefore, we had to literally reverse-engineer this software in order to understand how to use it :) Not all of this work has been completed at the moment.

There are two music editors for this sound card. One is graphical (it looks fancy), but it's more of a "proof of concept" than a finished product. The other one is for text mode. As far as I understand, it was used to create all the demo songs for the sound card. But it has a very confusing syntax, and it is not clear how to use this editor.

So now I'm trying to come up with my own way to get the sound card to play the sounds I want. This will take some time, so keep calm :)

avivanov76, I completely missed the first part of your post with the attached drum sounds! Thank you so much! I'll keep calm, no problem! I'm very interested about what you'll come up with!

It took me a little bit more time than I expected. Here are the voice samples.
The only processing I've applied to them is a 12 dB gain. This was necessary because the YaZS outputs 0.2 volts at the line output, and the sound card that I used for recording expects 1 volt at the line input. This should not affect the quality much, because the YaZS is quite noisy, its signal to noise ratio is about -50 dB.

Also, it turned out that I accidentally recorded the drum samples in mono. I will re-record them later.

Man, I don't even know how to thank you for doing this! It means a LOT for me! THANK YOU!

avivanov76 пишет:

It took me a little bit more time than I expected. Here are the voice samples.
The only processing I've applied to them is a 12 dB gain. This was necessary because the YaZS outputs 0.2 volts at the line output, and the sound card that I used for recording expects 1 volt at the line input. This should not affect the quality much, because the YaZS is quite noisy, its signal to noise ratio is about -50 dB.

Also, it turned out that I accidentally recorded the drum samples in mono. I will re-record them later.